Walworth Immanuel United Church of Christ began as Immanuel Evangelical Church (later Immanuel Methodist) which was founded in 1882 on the corner of Beloit and Fremont Streets, and Walworth Congregational Church. Walworth Congregational began in 1890 when a group of people made arrangements to hold English services on Sunday afternoons at the town hall on the corner of North Main and Kenosha Streets. At the annual meeting Dec. 16, 1902, it was voted to build a church. The cornerstone for Walworth Congregational was laid on Oct. 27, 1903. The church building was completed at a cost of $5,000 and dedicated on April 23, 1904. At the time of the dedication, the church had a Sunday school membership of 100 and church membership of 60. In 1927, feeling a need for a building to provide recreational activities, a 40 foot square gymnasium was added to the back of the church for $8,000. This was rented to the Walworth Public School for basketball games and other activities; and was used by the entire community.
The church continued to grow in the era of 1940 – 1950; having outgrown the need for the gymnasium and needing more Sunday School space, plans were carried out to put a floor in the top part of the gym and add partitions to provide separate rooms. The church grew and prospered until May of 1955 when it was decided to demolish the old one and build a new one not to exceed $40,000. The decision was prompted, in part, by the wind damage to the old church, plus it was found the south walls had been weakened and evidence seemed to indicate this damage was caused many years before by a slight earth tremor. While the new church was being constructed, services were held in the multi-purpose room of the Walworth Grade School and Sunday School held in various members’ homes. The cornerstone was laid on February 12, 1956 and donations given included the lectern, landscaping, and the cross on the altar. The new sanctuary was planned to provide an entrance on the northeast corner and to allow steps on the inside, rather than the outside, and pews allowing for a capacity of 192.
In 1970 the Immanuel United Methodist (formerly Evangelical United Brethren) and Walworth Congregational Church merged to become Immanuel United Church of Christ which is what it is known as today. The congregation is quite diverse and includes members who came from a variety of religious affiliations.